1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
I think I joined in 2013 on and off. I took a big break for a few years to take boxing more seriously then rejoined in 2017 and haven’t looked back.
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
I’m a pretty competitive spirit, I’ve done competitive sports my whole life and what I loved about the idea of CrossFit was the ability to compete against yourself. I thought I’d give it a go for that reason and got hooked pretty quickly.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I’ve definitely improved immensely over the years. My strength was one of the first aspects that I saw enhance quite quickly. I’m also just a more well rounded athlete now, I’m never afraid to try something challenging or new because I know that I have the strength and stamina to keep up and excel.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Don’t be intimidated! It seems like a bit of a scary place at first but you quickly learn that it’s a very welcoming community with so many different types of athletes.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Power clean for sure and anything with a KB.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
I teach boxing as a side hustle, I also love hiking, snowboarding, anything to do with the ocean… all the typical Vancouver stuff.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Probably when I finally got toes to bar. I remember competing in an open one of my first years and almost reducing myself to tears cause I couldn’t get even one! Now I can string together a bunch! They’re still hard though!
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I was counting my macros for a Couple of years which taught me a lot about food! (If you’re in the market, Sophie is a great nutrition coach!) I’ve since come off of it but brought a lot of those lessons with me, prioritizing protein, veggies and drinking a shit load of water are my top 3 takeaways.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I’ve had 4 sanctioned boxing fights, and my dad won an Oscar.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
Within the CrossFit community literally anyone new that walks through the doors! It’s a steep learning curve but I’m always so impressed by the new members who come in and stick with it. It’s so fun watching everyone improve.