Get to know the CFBC Team!
1. Why did you start CrossFitting and how long have you been doing it for?I started Crossfit in 2012 in Auckland with 3 of my roommates, it was their idea and I was sick of working out at the gym and having no idea what the heck I was doing. I stopped two years later when I went travelling and started back when I moved to Vancouver mid 2015 to make friends. So I guess 7 years.
2. What is your favourite part about CrossFit?The people, I’m pretty used to training alone due to the sports I played growing up, but I like to chat so the fact I can train and chat all at the same time keeps me around.
3. Have you competed?Yes, the only individual comp I have done was Fraser Valley in Nov 2018 where I surprised myself and came 4th! Other than that I have done the CFBC Winter Challenge as a team of two with Soph (and won both years) and CanWest as a Team of four 2017-2019 also placing in the top 4.
4. What are your goals when it comes to your CrossFit training?Well this changed a lot on Dec 23rd. It was to do well in the open 2020 and to finally improve my back squat (it’s been years and years) but now its to keep fit and healthy to recover faster and stronger. Also work on my upper body strength.
5. Have you changed anything with regards to your nutrition since you started CrossFit? A lot. I used to undereat and see exercise as a way to “earn food” but now I see food as fuel to exercise. I saw so many great improvements from eating correctly. So much so that I wanted to pass it on and started my own nutrition company.
6. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?I was a New Zealand Champ in
Orienteering haha. Also I did Ballet for 15 years.
7. What/who inspires you the most?Easy, my dad. He’s 67 now and still runs every night with the dog. He always puts other people before himself and he’s what got me into fitness and the reason for my competitiveness. As soon as I could ride I bike I would ride next to him every night when he ran.
8. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?Just start. Theres so many milestones along the way and you will get so much satisfaction on seeing yourself improve. When I started I did pull ups with the green band… everyone has to start somewhere, so just start.
9. Do you have a random hidden talent?Whats the point of having a talent if it’s hidden? Haha
10. If you could pick a lift and a gymnastics movement, what would be your favourite?Snatches 😭 and Anything to do with a Handstand, since I never thought I’d ever be able to do one.