Featured Athlete – Taya Girard
1) When did you join CrossFit BC?
2) Why did you choose CrossFit?
I was mostly playing soccer and running, but I was a bit bored since it wasn’t challenging enough and I wanted to try something new. I ended up watching a couple videos about the CrossFit Games and thought it looked really fun, so I decided to try a class and was immediately addicted to it.
3) What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I’ve never played any sports that require a lot of arm strength, so the biggest difference is that I actually have arm strength now. It also transferred to pretty much every other part of my life—it’s made me a better soccer player and all-around athlete. I’m more confident, and I also find that it’s a lot easier to focus when I’m doing homework.
4) What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Just go for it! It’s intimidating the first time, especially no knowing any of the lifts, but everyone’s so supportive and the only thing you really need is a willingness to try new things. Everyone’s a beginner at some point, so just focus on improving yourself and working hard instead of comparing what you can do to everyone else because it will definitely pay off.
5) What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Any kind of squat, but since I broke my wrist, I’ve also slowly started to love the assault bike.
6) What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Backcountry hiking, playing soccer, and reading
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
I was barely able to do pushups when I started in September, so doing them properly in a WOD was really exciting. I was also happy to come back quickly and be able to do modified WODs in between breaking my wrist and having surgery as well as after surgery.
8) Have you made any changes to your diet?
I’ve always been a healthy eater (excluding eating insane amounts of chocolate and peanut butter) and I’ve been vegan for a while, so I haven’t changed anything except for increasing the amount of food that I eat.
9) Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I don’t like watching TV (except I loved The Office) and rarely make it through a full movie without falling asleep.
10) What/who inspires you the most?
The drive and dedication of everyone at CrossFit BC is amazing! It has also been a huge inspiration to be able to workout with people who have gone to the CrossFit Games, like Susan Clarke, and to see the crazy, awesome workouts and skills that people are able to do.