1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
My friend, Caragh talked me into trying a class. I was skeptical for at least 6 months and then I was hooked!
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I am much stronger both physically and mentally. CrossFit teaches you to push yourself and I have discovered that I have way more ability than I ever thought I did. You can do anything for 20, 30 or even 60 seconds! Learning to breakdown a chipper WOD into smaller doable parts is a great exercise for the mind. You eventually come out on the other end feeling quite accomplished.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Just show up! The exercises and trainers will do the rest. Take is slow, be patient with yourself and learn the lifts and other exercises properly. Scale, Scale, Scale…we all have different needs and abilities. Listen to your body.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Wallballs, double-unders and kettlebell swings…so many!
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Hanging out with my husband, our three sons and our two dogs. Travelling whenever life allows for it!
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Finding my latissimus dorsi muscles (lats). Dan had to give me special exercises to do against the corner of a wall so I could learn to engage them. Did my first ever kipping pull-ups 9 months later.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
Well…that’s a constant work in progress! I have always tried to eat clean – more protein (50-60%) and less carbs and fat. One thing I do know, if you focus on consistent exercise, it is much easier to make better food choices.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I always wanted to be a doctor (MD) but life and circumstance got in the way. Now, my focus is to give my 3 sons the opportunity to become what they dream of.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
The Rock – Dwayne Johnson. He came from nothing. Now, he has is all and he still gets his ass out of bed at 3 or 4 in the morning to make sure he gets in a workout. I love that his iron paradise travels with him wherever he goes, and his cheat meals are truly epic! 😊