Featured Athlete – Jillian Trach
1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
Last July 🙂
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
It was my mum’s idea! The gym is across the street from my ballet studio, so I saw it all the time. I came for the first time 2 summers ago before ballet class and just the coaches were in, and when I got a tour I was really intimidated by the heavy weights and buff dudes, so it took until the next summer when my mum prodded me again for me to try. So really, it’s all her. Being here now I like that its constantly challenging & always feeling sweaty and exerted after a workout. (& the coaches are actually great, not intimidating)
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
My cardio has gotten better, which I’ve noticed in my running route times. I’ve definitely gained muscle, which I was self conscious about initially but I’ve grown to like because feeling strong and healthy feels good!
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
Just do it! It’s so much fun & feels great. You’ll have less stress, better sleep, be in better shape. Time is not an excuse, you prioritize what’s important to you, and your health should top that list.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
It’s always changing! I like HSPUs right now because I just got them & they’re fun to work on improving. Same for DUs! I also like anything w a barbell. Weirdly I’ve always liked burpees. but NOT lateral facing burpees. I also like running and box jumps. (okay maybe everything?)
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
For sure spending time with my friends and family. Also ballet! and math.
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
I think doing my first strict pull-up. I get excited every time I get something new though!
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I definitely have to eat more. I’ve always just ate intuitively, eating when I’m hungry and not eating if I’m not. Otherwise, maybe trying to eat more protein. My mum’s a dietitian so I’ve grown up with a pretty healthy taste in food. I feel like when you eat well, you feel good, so that’s pretty much it for me.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
People are ALWAYS surprised to find out that I’m a civil engineer and I still don’t know why! (this might clear up me liking math though)
10. What/who inspires you the most?
I’m inspired most in the gym when I see people making progress. It’s pretty exciting and reminds me that hard work pays off. Also, it’s cheesy, but movies like Rocky or Creed also always get me going.