1. When did you join CrossFit BC?
I joined CrossFit in December 2018. It was basically a dare from a co-worker (“Jive” – Todd Romaine), I said I’d try it for a month and after about three weeks I fell in love with it !
2. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I really feel like I’m building muscle with my workouts, I get that muscle ache after every workout. I’ve also become a morning person, I used to be pretty sluggish in the mornings but I look forward to 6am CrossFit now. Part of it is the community of instructors and fellow CrossFitters.
3. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
If you are starting CrossFit, start with light weights. Listen to the instructors, they know exactly what they are doing and will help you to prevent injuries. Take rest days when your body tells you they are needed.
4. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
My favourite CrossFit exercise is the ropeclimb which I just managed for the first time a few weeks ago. I’d like to get to the legless ropeclimb this year. When I joined CrossFit, I never thought I’d get the ropeclimb, it seemed so difficult !
5. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Favourite activity outside of CrossFit is spending time with my family.
6. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Proudest accomplishment at CrossFit is being named ‘athlete of the month’ !
7. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I changed out my diet completely about three years ago, super low carb and intermittent fasting. I eat whole foods (not processed junk), drink tons of coffee and since I started CrossFit, I’ve really upped my protein intake. I generally eat just twice a day. The early morning CrossFit sessions mean that I don’t drink alcohol very often now, maybe once a week.
8. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
Something people would probably be surprised about is that I was technically obese (BMI 31) three years ago before I changed my diet. Diet, sleep and exercise are all important, CrossFit really ticks the exercise box.
9. What/who inspires you the most?
I’m inspired by Susan, she is a machine and proves that age is no barrier to physical performance. I’m also very grateful to the instructors at CrossFit, they seem to know when to push me and always correct my form if its not right which I appreciate.