1) When did you join CrossFit BC?
2) Why did you choose CrossFit?
I was going through a period of change; I was about to have my second child and start a new job and I thought it was a good time to mix up my fitness regime. My wife suggested I try out CrossFit as she thought it would be a good fit for me.
3) What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
My thighs can no longer fit into skinny jeans, but on the flip side my overall strength/cardio has really improved and I am performing at a much higher level in all my other activities. Physical benefits aside, the biggest difference for me is mental strength in that I am better able to really push through that feeling of wanting to quit.
4) What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
It may look intimidating on the surface, but in reality, nobody cares what you think you can’t do or what level of physical shape you are in. With so many scaling options, CrossFit can truly be for everyone. Keep in mind that all athletes were beginners at some point and the community is there to support you along the way. Three things I live by with respect to CrossFit are maintaining a positive mindset, showing up regularly, and putting in my best efforts.
5) What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
No specific exercises however, I am a huge fan of long chipper WODs, whether individually or in teams.
6) What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Hanging out with my wife/kids, surfing, rock climbing, snowboarding, cooking and travel.
7) What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
Kind of an ever-evolving thing in that I am most proud of continuously redefining what I think my mental and physical limits are with CrossFit.
8) Have you made any changes to your diet?
My approach to diet has not changed and has always been simple in that I basically stay away from anything processed. I am obsessed with cooking/researching various cuisines so the menu at home is all over the map, but it is almost always freshly made and healthy.
9) Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
In the interest of keeping this simple, I have an irrational dislike of wet naps and an even more irrational love for maneki-nekos.
10) What/who inspires you the most?
My wife and kids – they make me tick and are the key driver/motivator in any goals I set for myself. From a CrossFit perspective, I always pull inspiration from the community; the level of male and female athleticism at CFBC is amazing!