1. When did you open CrossFit BC?
I started CrossFitting in 2006, and opened CrossFit BC in 2007.
2. Why did you choose CrossFit?
I was working towards my black belt in Krav Maga in LA and Colorado and needed to get stronger and faster for all the fighting I had to do. A Law Enforcement friend recommended CrossFit, so I tried it and got hooked.
3. What changes in your health, physique and overall performance have you seen since starting CrossFit?
I’m stronger and have better all round fitness than I’ve ever had.
4. What advice would you give to someone with regards to starting CrossFit?
DO IT!! But for the right reasons. Have fun, enjoy the community and life long friends you will make in class. If you enjoy it, you will keep coming, and if you keep coming, you will get in better shape and have a healthier and happier life.
5. What is your favourite CrossFit exercise?
Not Double Unders!! Seriously though, I like it all. Even the stuff I’m not good at. As you improve with your weaknesses, it’s very empowering. Even small gains feel great.
6. What is your favourite activity outside of CrossFit?
Spending time with my family, riding my Harley, going to Hawaii, Krav Maga, water skiing, CrossFit, golf, swimming, not hiking, CrossFit!
7. What is your proudest accomplishment at CrossFit?
I’ve got a couple…
Competing on a CrossFit team with my daughter, Sophie, and competing at 4 CrossFit Games.
8. Have you made any changes to your diet?
I’m pretty careful with what I eat, and my wife is an amazing cook so I’m lucky I don’t have to think about what I can and can’t eat. It’s different at competition time though, when you really have to dial it in. You have to watch what you eat, and how much you eat can because it directly effects your performance.
9. Is there something that people would be surprised to know about you?
I’ve been with my wife for 39 years!!! Poor woman.
10. What/who inspires you the most?
He’s not around any more, but my dad was my hero. I was lucky enough to grow up in my family business and work for, and with him for many years. We travelled the world together and I learned a lot from him.